Dr. Lumin Wang
- Postdoc, Material Science, Argonne National Laboratory, 1989
- Ph.D., Material Science & Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1988
- M.S., Material Science & Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1984
- B.S., Metallic Material Engineering, Beijing Polytechnic University, Beijing, 1982
Research and Professional Experience:
- 2005 – Present: Professor, Department of Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences and Department of Material Science & Engineering, University of Michigan
- 2005 – 2009: Director, Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory, University of Michigan
- 2002 – 2005: Research Scientist, Department of Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences and Department of Material Science & Engineering, University of Michigan
- 1997 – 2002: Associate Research Scientist, Department of Nuclear Engineering & Radiological Sciences and Department of Material Science & Engineering, University of Michigan.
- 1990 – 1997: Manager of the Transmission Electron Microscopy Laboratory, Senior Research Associate, Senior Research Scientist, Research Associate Professor, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
- C. Y. Lu, Z. Lu, R. Xie, C. M. Liu and L. M. Wang, “Microstructure of a 14Cr-ODS ferritic steel before and after helium ion implantation,” J. Nucl. Mater. 455, 366–370 (2014). DOI: 10.1016/jnucmat.2014.065.
- G. Ran, J. Xu, Q. Shen, J. Zhang, N. Li, and L. M. Wang, “In situ TEM observation of growth behavior of Kr bubbles in zirconium alloy during post-implantation annealing,” Nucl. Instrum. & Meth. B 307, 516–521 (2013). DOI:10.1016/j.nimb.2012.11.085.
- G. Ran, X. Liu, J. H. Wu, N. Li, X. T. Zu, and L. M. Wang, “In situ observation of surface morphology evolution in tungsten under focused Ga+ ion irradiation,” J. Nucl. Mater. 424, 146–152 (2012). DOI: 10.1016/j.jnucmat.2012.02.023.
- Q. M. Wei, N. Li, K. Sun, and L. M. Wang, “The shape of bubbles in He-implanted Cu and Au,” Scr. Mater. 63, 430–433 (2010). DOI: 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2010.04.043.
- Q. Wei, X. Zhou, B. Joshi, Y. Chen, K. Li, Q. Wei, K. Sun, and L. Wang, “Self-assembly of ordered semiconductor nanoholes by ion beam sputtering,” Adv. Mater. 21, 2865–2869 (2009). DOI: 10.1002/adma.200803258.
- Q. Wei, K. Lian, W. Lu, and L. Wang, “Highly ordered Ga nanodroplets on a GaAs surface formed by a focused ion beam,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 076103 (2008).
- L. M. Wang, R. C. Birtcher, and R. C. Ewing, “Ion irradiation induced nano-scale polycrystallization of intermetallic and ceramic materials,” Nucl. Instrum. & Meth. B 80 (1) 1109–1113 (1993). DOI: 10.1016/0168-583X(93)90747-T.
- L. M. Wang, S. J. Zinkle, R. A. Dodd, and G. L. Kulcinski, “Effects of preinjected helium in heavy ion irradiated nickel and nickel-copper alloys,” Metall. Trans. A 21(7) 1847–1851 (1990). DOI: 10.1007/BF02647231.
- L. M. Wang, R. A. Dodd, and G. L. Kulcinski, “Radiation damage and copper distribution in 14 MeV copper ion implanted Ni: TEM and AEM analysis in cross-section,” Ultramicroscopy 29, 284–290 (1989). DOI: 10.1016/0304-3991(89)90256-8.
- L. M. Wang, R. A. Dodd, and G. L. Kulcinski, “Effects of 14 MeV nickel ion irradiation on nickel copper-alloys observed in cross-section,” J. Nucl. Mater. 155/157, 1241–1248 (1988). DOI: 10.1016/0022-3115(88)90504-1.
- Published more than 300 scientific research papers in SCI indexed journals with an h-index=42. Delivered over 100 invited talks at national, international scientific conferences and research institutions on radiation effects and ion beam modification of materials. Organized and chaired many symposiums on radiation effects in solids.
- Active international collaborations in Germany (FZK, Karlsruhe), Japan (National Industrial Research Institute, Nagoya; Hokkaido University, Sapporo), France (University of Paris VI and VII), China (Sichuan University and University of Electronic Science and Technology in Chengdu, Xiamen University), and Singapore (Nanyang Technological University) on radiation effects and ion beam processing of materials. Guest scientist and invited speaker at Institute for Transuranium Elements, European Commission Joint Research Center, Karlsruhe, Germany; National Industrial Research Institute, Nagoya, Japan; National Research Institute for Metals, Tsukuba, Japan; and Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan.
- Qualified and experienced user of the IVEM-Tandem DOE user Facility at Argonne National Laboratory for the last 24 years for in situ transmission electron microscopy study of ion irradiation effects in materials. Active collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Sandia National Laboratory, and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory on radiation effects and nuclear waste materials.
- Reviewer for Journal of Applied Physics, Physical Review Letters, Journal of Materials Research, Journal of Nuclear Materials, Journal of American Ceramic Society, Nuclear Instrument and Methods B, Physica B, as well as many proposals to DOE, NSF, and U.S. State Department.
- Consultant for International Atomic Energy Agency (on long term storage of used nuclear fuel); Ceradyne Inc, etc.
Collaborators and Co-editors: J. Chongle, Hong Kong University, China; V. Kery, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; C. K. Isaccs, J. R. Roberts, North Carolina State University; B. Smith, The Ohio State University; R. B. Smith, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory; and A. Li, R. G. Welch, H. S. Wu, University of California, Berkeley.
Graduate and Postdoctoral Advisors: G. Kulcinski (University of Wisconsin, Madison, Graduate Advisor); R. Birtcher (Argonne National Laboratory, Postdoctoral Advisor).